Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sometimes you can glare at the same empty page for hours and hours and nothing comes... And then suddenly inspiration strikes, and in the space of four or five minutes it's full. And it almost makes those hours of staring and waiting worth it.

Almost.

I've been trying to find ways around the waiting. It's not writers' block - I'm not blocked, I'm just waiting. I know it'll come eventually, my subconscious just has to process all the information and ideas I'm feeding it. I draw diagrams, I write a thousand notes, I make mind maps... But the bit of my brain that comes up with the clever stuff likes to take its own time.

I'm obviously only telling you this because I've just had one of those five minute spurts and a problem I've been mulling over all day with a story I'm writing has just solved itself.
"Writing is easy. All you do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead." - Gene Fowler

Elephant Words you may have missed:
Burn Maybe Burn
TV Chef
New Granny

I'm really pleased with how most of these stories have turned out. I'm going to try something different with the next half dozen or so though, so stay tuned.


Links 4U:
Modern Monstrosity has an awesome new website! (and the best Publicity section in the whole universe)
Great BBC new story about a student who scored 7.4% in a GCSE English paper by writing only two words... Guess which two?
An interesting piece by Terry Pratchett about the wonder of the Universe (and not about God as the title would have you believe, although once you see who published it you might be thankful it wasn't even worse!)


I'll leave you with a poem:

Happy the man

Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.
Be fair or foul or rain or shine
The joys I have possessed, in spite of fate, are mine.
Not Heaven itself upon the past has power,
But what has been, has been, and I have had my hour.

John Dryden

Next week: Because you demanded it - The Missing Robot Interviews

No comments:

THE BLOG IS DEAD (I mean the blog as a medium. This blog is merely sleeping.) I really miss writing the blog so I'm determined ...