Friday, July 07, 2006

I’m writing this from a web café in West Hampstead High Street which has free wireless. Unfortunately it is the flakiest connection I have ever met, so it’ll be a bit of a miracle if this post actually makes it anywhere.

I’ve just had a meeting with a writer/actor about an exciting film project that’s happening this year. As usual, I can’t say much more than that at the moment, but it’s very cool nonetheless.

The book cover I’ve been working on this week is all but done and dusted (I’m just waiting on a font set from the type setters that has little heart symbols in it). I’ll ask the publisher if I can put a low-res version of it up here as I’m really chuffed with how it turned out.

Preparations for San Diego gather apace, with last minute pitch polishing, and sample-printing featuring prominently in my To Do list this weekend. Tom Spurgeon offers some excellent, and very entertaining advice for SDCC attendees on his Comics Reporter site. My favourite snippet being item 5 from his Five Things Expected To Be Special About The 2006 Show list:
5. Marvel to announce Stephen King's involvement on forthcoming Dark Tower project to be waving at trucks full of completed issues as they drive by his house.

(If you don’t get that joke, you’re probably not a comics geek, and so the list won’t be of much interest to you).



Anyone curious about just how big the show is might want to take a look at the just-released program schedule for the Thursday. It has more going on in one day than most conventions manage in a whole weekend. No, really – go have a look!

Currently reading God Bless You, Mr Rosewater by veritable genius Kurt Vonnegut Jr. I read Slaughterhouse 5 a few years ago on holiday and it blew me away. Sixty pages in, this book is making a similar impression on me.

I just finished Goerge Orwell’s Down and Out in Paris and London, which was beautifully written, and Stephen King’s On Writing, which while being a really entertaining read didn’t say an awful lot about writing… Or maybe it did, and I was too busy being entertained to notice…

I’m also reading a really good book about the role of colour in design, which I want to talk about in the next post.
Someone remind me…

No comments:

THE BLOG IS DEAD (I mean the blog as a medium. This blog is merely sleeping.) I really miss writing the blog so I'm determined ...