Friday, May 09, 2003

Quote of the week, maybe the month:

(After witnessing Hitler's visit to Graz in 1943)
"It was my first impression of mass hysteria. I saw the eyes of the believers and it inoculated me against belief of all kinds. It dawned on me, and it became clearer later, that the world is absurd. And that art is the antidote to the world. Art gives a sense of order against the chaos of our surroundings."

From Alfred Brendel's interview in the Stage (which I only got round to reading this week).

Another one - and a close contender :

"I don't want to become an example of 'the wisdom of old age', which is
essentially a glorification of arthritis"

The full interview is fantastic and it's at :
http://www.thestage.co.uk/paper/0318/0301.shtml

No comments:

THE BLOG IS DEAD (I mean the blog as a medium. This blog is merely sleeping.) I really miss writing the blog so I'm determined ...