Sunday, January 14, 2007

I have returned!

Just sorting out some comic pages for two very fine anthologies (if I haven’t blown the deadlines by sunning myself in the Caribbean). I’ll be back in a bit with photos and my votes for best stuff of 2006, but while I’m busy check out these great things:

Woody Allen on string theory (a really funny piece he wrote for The New Yorker in 2003)

Terry Jones on the Iraq War in last Saturday’s Guardian:
Early this year the Bush administration is to ask Congress to approve an additional $100bn for the onerous task of making life intolerable for the Iraqis. This will bring the total spent on the White House's current obsession with war to almost $500bn - enough to have given every US citizen $1,600 each. I wonder which the voters would have gone for if given the choice: shall we (a) give every American $1,600 or (b) spend the money on bombing a country in the Middle East that doesn't use lavatory paper?

Of course, there's another thing that George Bush could have done with the money: he could have given every Iraqi $18,700. I imagine that would have reduced the threat of international terrorism somewhat. Call me old-fashioned, but I can't help thinking that giving someone $18,700 brings them round to your side more quickly than bombing the hell out of them. They could certainly buy a lot of lavatory paper with it.

And the best guided tour of London money can’t buy is currently available from andwhilelondonburns.com. It’s so free they’ll even loan you an mp3 player!

No comments:

THE BLOG IS DEAD (I mean the blog as a medium. This blog is merely sleeping.) I really miss writing the blog so I'm determined ...