Thursday, February 05, 2004

Oooh.. Second post of the day. You'd think I had no work to do.
Someone just asked me what the definition of the word 'eponymous' was - I'd just used it to describe an album named after the artist, but we knew that there must be a more generic meaning.

dictionary.com (which I refuse to link to for reasons which will soon become obvious) said :
"eponymous

\E*pon"y*mous\, a. [Gr. ?; 'epi` upon, to + ? for ? name.] Relating to an eponym; giving one's name to a tribe, people, country, and the like.

What becomes . . . of the Herakleid genealogy of the Spartan kings, when it is admitted that eponymous persons are to be canceled as fictions? --Grote."

Right...
While Cambridge Dictionaries Online said :

"eponymous
adjective [before noun] LITERARY
An eponymous character in a play, book, etc. has the same name as the title."

That amused me about as much as the theory that if swearing were abolished we'd descent into violent barbarism due to the frustration of not being able to express our anger.

No comments:

THE BLOG IS DEAD (I mean the blog as a medium. This blog is merely sleeping.) I really miss writing the blog so I'm determined ...