Thursday, May 27, 2004

Frantically stapling comics in preparation for the comics festival this weekend in Bristol.

On Monday I got an unexpected ticket to see a Jack Dee, Ardal O'Hanlon and Ross Noble extravaganza, which was really cool. (Ross reminded me of a young Billy Connolly the way he spun off story threads and left them dangling with no guarantee of revisiting them - 'What was I talking about? Oh yeah...')

Last night I got an expected ticket to see Troy, which was mostly cool apart from the constant references of Achilles’ desire to be remembered centuries after his death, the terrible dialogue in the first third of the film and the twenty minute Brad Pitt death sequence. I’d have rewritten it to have Eric Bana’s Hector kick everyone’s ass.
I mean it’s not like they were particularly faithful to the source material anyway.
(‘%!$* it – no one’s ever actually read the Iliad have they?’ I hear a tubby overpaid Hollywood exec say in the back of my imagination).

If you're attending the Bristol con this weekend make sure you pick up a copy of The Awkward Fascination Compendium and Scribe. Maybe even say hello.
Failing that - have a good weekend.

Dave out.

No comments:

THE BLOG IS DEAD (I mean the blog as a medium. This blog is merely sleeping.) I really miss writing the blog so I'm determined ...