Monday, May 28, 2007

Since going freelance I barely know what day of the week it is most of the time, and I'm totally oblivious to when bank holiday weekends are. I mean, I notice that the weather has become unusually bad, of course, but apart from that my only indication is that there seem to be people in the gym when they should surely be holed up in an office cubicle somewhere.

Anyway - my point is that while most of you are probably enjoying playing in the rain or shivering outdoors, us freelancers have to grit our teeth and work on through. Now hurry back to work so that the end-of-May sunshine can come back, and I can swim in a nice empty pool again.


Videos of the awesome Steve Hamaker colouring Bone and Shazam, for those that missed them when everyone linked to them last month...


Anthony Daniels reminisces on the 30th anniversary of a film called Stellar Battles, or something... I dunno - I'm not familiar with it, at all.
When they eventually got me in, turned the lights on and opened the tent flaps, I walked out, and for one brief moment - to the crew spread out across the desert in front of me - I truly was a god.


Ted Rall tells Yahoo News what it's like to be an enemy of the state... For anyone not familiar with Mr Rall, he's an exceptionally talented but often controversial cartoonist.
Government agencies began spying on me shortly after 9/11. I have repeatedly suffered service interruptions--loud static, whispered voices, even outages--at the hands of a government whose laughably inept phone-tapping skills match its inability to respond to a hurricane or tornado. Finally, a security official at Verizon confirmed that my telephone had been tapped. "That's already more than I should have told you," he explained, requesting anonymity. "Under the Patriot Act we're not allowed to inform our customers about intercepts."

Eventually I was seeing my local Verizon repair guy, who was repeatedly being summoned to my home to restore service, more often than my best friend. So I was naturally suspicious when I caught an unfamiliar man, no uniform or badge, fiddling with the posts in my building's phone box. "Who are you and what are you doing?" I demanded. The dude knocked me down and bolted out a door into an alley. Giving chase, I watched him drive off an unmarked white van with U.S. government plates.

What did I do to justify these invasions of privacy? The declassified police dossiers actually made me feel ashamed. "Ted Rall is a nationally-known activist figure," some anonymous policeman wrote, but I don't deserve the compliment. The only "activist" action in which I've taken part in 20 years was holding a sign in the big march down Fifth Avenue a few weeks before the invasion of
Iraq. Surely more is called for when thugs steal the presidency, murder hundreds of thousands of people and legalize torture.

All I did was produce books, columns and editorial cartoons that criticized government policies. I sat at my computer and drawing table. Activist, indeed. Ass-tivist is more like it.


Dan Fish - TV Star!



I think I've missed the airing of Mr Fish's television debut, but I'm hoping someone will stick it up on youtube...


El Topo. It's doing the rounds and you have to see it to believe it. 'Nuff said.


And finally - my new favourite thing in the world is TiddlyWiki. No, really. It is incredible. I've been using it for less than a week and it's already saved me hours of work. Go take a look and hopefully you'll see what I mean.

I'm using mine as a place to store my daily schedule, notes, my todo list, shopping lists, a couple of timers (for billable time and to keep track of how long things are taking) and to generate and track invoices.
"The original TiddlyWiki by Jeremy Ruston is, without a doubt, one of the most amazing dynamic web apps I've ever seen (sorry Gmail.)" - Lifehacker.com

"It's blowing my mind." - Evan Williams, founder of Blogger and Odeo, EvHead

"What I love most about Tiddlywiki is that it is quite easy to use but incredibly flexible." - Ed Sim of Dawntreader Ventures, BeyondVC

"TiddlyWiki is completely blowing my mind... Completely tripped out. Try it and you'll see what I mean." - Russell Beattie of Yahoo!, Russell Beattie's Notebook

And before you ask - no I'm not on the payroll.


In other news - readers of Judge Dredd Megazine are in for an unexpected treat this week.

No comments:

THE BLOG IS DEAD (I mean the blog as a medium. This blog is merely sleeping.) I really miss writing the blog so I'm determined ...