Tuesday, April 06, 2004

About four years ago I was sitting in a pub in Whitechapel with my friend Liam. We discussed many things on this particular night, over a modest number of beers - we were still fresh faced graduates and had no fear of the next morning. We talked about the immortality of the soul, the meaning of life and when we'd stop drinking (the answer to that was around 4 am I think) and in the course of this mammoth conversation I recalled a proverb I'd heard Michael Palin quote on the telly that I thought was particularly insightful.

We agreed that it was the most profound thing we'd ever heard.
And then we forgot what the quote was.

Liam just found it (in the Observer magazine I think). Here it is.

"If you want to be happy for a few hours, get drunk.
If you want to be happy for a few years get a wife.
If you want to be happy forever, get a garden"
Anon.

Google tells me there are a few variations on it, but I think this is the one.
What do you think?

No comments:

THE BLOG IS DEAD (I mean the blog as a medium. This blog is merely sleeping.) I really miss writing the blog so I'm determined ...