Monday, November 17, 2003

The story of the man who invented the skateboard.
And the personal computer:

www.wired.com

Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean were very entertaining and they signed Endless Nights and Coraline for me. Then I gave them a copy of my last comic.
To share.
Because I only had one.

Jane and Sue had a good night. We ended up in ONeill's on Wardour Street, which was busier than a really busy thing. It took about twenty minutes to get served.

Unfortunately I didn't get to speak to the ticket kiosk girl on Saturday as Jen bought the tickets, but I'm sure she's doing fine.
Finding Nemo was absolutely brilliant, despite starting more brutally than any mob film I've ever seen. It was more like Saving Private Ryan!

And in a bizarre example of synchronicity that would have Deepak Chopra reaching for his laptop to write a sequel to Synchro Destiny (probably not actually, this is all hyperbole - give me a break it's Monday morning!) I seem to have written a story that's uncannily similar to one Alan Moore wrote about fifteen years ago.

The weird thing is that I found this out last week while reading The Extraordinary Works of Alan Moore, which is basically a one hundred page interview with the big hairy comics writer, where in one section he talks about his story in detail and why he's proud of it, and then immediately afterwards he talks about how he once wrote a story which turned out to be a carbon copy of something someone else had written.
He supposes that he must have sub-consciously lifted it from the source, which he'd read years earlier, and just dropped it on the page thinking it was his own.
He hasn't allowed the story be reprinted , and apologised to the original author (I might be wrong on that last point, this is from memory).

Now maybe I did the same, but if I have read the story (it's an old Time Twisters from 2000AD) I did so when I was about nine or ten. Anyway - the story is in the Words section of this web site and it's called The Forwards Story Of Backwards Benjamin, and I thought it had come from a conversation that I'd had with a guy I work with called Dan.
Either way I won't be submitting it to any publishers (not that I intended to anyway), and I'll probably stick a note on it when I get a chance.

Alan Moore is fifty tomorrow.

No comments:

THE BLOG IS DEAD (I mean the blog as a medium. This blog is merely sleeping.) I really miss writing the blog so I'm determined ...