Monday, October 18, 2004

For some reason spending long periods of time at the drawing board induces déjà vu in me.

I’m fine until I take a break to (for example) eat a slice of pizza and then my brain sends me those ‘you’ve been here before’ vibes.
Of course eating a slice of pizza is a bad example, because I have been there before.
Snippets of conversation, things on TV and even sounds outside all seem oddly familiar and I feel like if I tried hard enough I could guess what is going to happen next.

Listening to Radiohead’s Kid A, Marcy Playground’s Sex and Candy and Jack Johnson’s On And On today. Yesterday I worked to the sounds of Badly Drawn Boy and Beth Orton.
Some Nirvana and Tori Amos later I think…

I seem to be managing good, long drawing sessions this week – twenty hours yesterday, and about fifteen most other days.
All this drawing is making me thirsty for some weighty writing work though.

The Writers and Artists Yearbook for 2005 came in today (along with some Humanoids graphic novels and Warren Ellis’ Global Frequency) and so I’m also looking forward to having time to sit down for a day or so and just read.
I’m still fairly keen on the notion of devoting November to writing a novel. I have some notes made already, and some idea of theme and a general plot, which should hopefully keep me interested enough to concentrate on writing one thing intensely for a month.

I remember reading somewhere that Stephen King wrote the Running Man in 24 hours, and I really enjoyed that book, so aiming for such an ambitious deadline doesn’t necessarily mean it will be dreadful.
We’ll see.

OK – back to the drawing board.
(Ooh – déjà vu again!)

No comments:

THE BLOG IS DEAD (I mean the blog as a medium. This blog is merely sleeping.) I really miss writing the blog so I'm determined ...