Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Speaking of which...

'According to Eric Kandel, a Nobel Prize-winning memory researcher at Columbia University in Manhattan, memory-improving and memory-deleting medicines may be available within five to 10 years. More than 40 drugs aimed at improving memory are currently going through clinical trials with the US Food and Drug Administration.

Those who can't wait five years might try mind controller Derren Brown who, according to Channel 4, displays an "amazing ability to put ideas into people's heads".

Lacuna Inc's focused erasure of troubling memories may sound a bit sci-fi, but in a recent episode of Brown's show, he appeared to erase, through mere suggestion and manipulation, a London cabbie's knowledge of where the London Eye was. At one point the cabbie drove straight past the Eye declaring, "It's around here somewhere..." '

I know that when I saw that I was blown away. Of course I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen Derren do completely impossible things a dozen or so times before that. I notice that he's marketing himself as a 'Modern Day Jedi Master' for his upcoming run of shows in the West End.
Couldn't agree more.

Also at the BBC :
'The song Werewolves of London won the accolade [best opening lyric] in a vote by listeners to Jeremy Vine's show on BBC Radio 2'
For the uninitiated, the full lyrics are:

I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of Soho in the rain
He was looking for a place called Lee Ho Fook's
Going to get himself a big dish of beef chow mein
Werewolves of London

If you hear him howling around your kitchen door
Better not let him in
Little old lady got mutilated late last night
Werewolves of London again
Werewolves of London

He's the hairy-handed gent who ran amuck in Kent
Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair
Better stay away from him
He'll rip your lungs out, Jim
I'd like to meet his tailor
Werewolves of London

Well, I saw Lon Chaney walking with the Queen
Doing the Werewolves of London
I saw Lon Chaney, Jr. walking with the Queen
Doing the Werewolves of London
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect
Werewolves of London
Draw blood

And if that's not itching to be illustrated I honestly don't know what is.
Right - I'm off to bed, I was up late tonight because I had to:
Fix a bug in the inflation algorithm for AllocationDataObjects (4 days left)
Pick up comics from the printers for Comics 2004 (in 25 days time)
Swim (for about 40 minutes)

...and felt compelled to post to my beloved weblog.
Goodnight.

No comments:

THE BLOG IS DEAD (I mean the blog as a medium. This blog is merely sleeping.) I really miss writing the blog so I'm determined ...